By Bryony Wardell
The coming of a new year is an opportunity to make some positive changes, and 2016 could be your best year yet. Here are DHEC’s top 5 resolutions to live better – and we’ll even help you achieve them.
- Quit Tobacco: No matter how long you’ve used tobacco or what your age is – quitting this year will make a difference you can feel.You don’t have to go it alone!
The S.C. Tobacco Quitline is a free counseling service that can help you deal with cravings, identify triggers, develop a quit plan and get free resources like nicotine gum and patches to help you quit. You can do it! Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669).
- Recycle: Recycling is something easy that you can do that helps supports South Carolina’s economy and helps keep the state beautiful and clean. Did you know that aluminum cans, plastic bottles, paper, glass and a wide variety of other items like motor oil and tires can all be recycled?
Some communities have curbside recycling programs or you can simply collect your recyclables and drop them off at a location nearby. You’ll be amazed at how many recyclables you collect! To find out what and where to recycle in your community, click here.
- Eat Well: Good nutrition plays an important role in helping you live a healthier, fuller life. Make a few easy choices to start your year off eating right:
-Switch out empty calorie snacks like potato chips with a fresh fruit, low-fat yogurt or carrot sticks with peanut butter or hummus.
– Trade in sodas and sweet tea for unsweet tea, water, or skim milk.
– Skip fried or fatty foods. Choose lean meats that are baked or broiled and dig in on raw, steamed or boiled fresh vegetables and whole grains. Learn more!
- Exercise: Keeping your body moving can add years to your life and life to your years, and it can help you lose those pesky pounds too.
Whether you like to walk, ride your bike, go to the gym or dance to your favorite music in your living room – getting your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes a day is a resolution you’ll love to keep.Find inspiration and exercise resources at Let’s Go SC – Move More.
- Make a Difference In Your Community: Living in a healthy community with clean air, water and land can improve your quality of life. And, you can help make it happen.
– Put litter in the trash or recycling bin, not on the ground and help pick up litter in your community.
– You can improve air quality with energy-saving habits like turning off the lights when you leave a room. Or, look for opportunities to drive less by carpooling or walking / cycling shorter distances.
– Help keep SC’s rivers and coastal environments clean. Never dump trash, oil or debris of any kind down a drain, storm drain or into a waterway. Get more pollution prevention ideas here.
Whether you pick one resolution or five, 2016 is your opportunity to live better. For more information on helping healthy people living in healthy communities, please visit www.scdhec.gov.
Very Inspirational article. I’ve shared it to my fb profile.
Good nutrition plays an important role in helping you live a healthier, fuller life. Make a few easy choices to start your year off eating right
Haha Yeah, That is a nice article. Thank you for thats information