For When it comes to protecting citizens from mosquitoes and the various illnesses the pesky insects can spread, local governments and residents themselves provide the first line of defense.
This is National Mosquito Control Awareness Week (June 25 – July 1), which is a good time to educate residents about mosquitoes and the diseases they carry and to urge everyone to do their part by protecting themselves and their homes from the potential spread of Zika virus as well as other mosquito-borne illnesses.
Be vigilant about protecting yourself from mosquito bites and ridding your homes and yards of containers where mosquitoes breed.
- Visit DHEC’s mosquito page at www.scdhec.gov/Mosquitoes.
- To learn more about Zika, visit www.scdhec.gov/Zika or cdc.gov/Zika.
- Click here to learn about other diseases mosquitoes can spread.
- To view a list of local mosquito control programs in South Carolina, visit scdhec.gov/HomeAndEnvironment/Insects/Mosquitoes/LocalMosquitoControl.
- Residents play a key role in mosquito control and prevention. Click here to learn more about how you can protect yourself and your home from mosquitoes.
Watch this short video for tips on protecting yourself and your home against mosquitoes: