(GIF Credit: https://giphy.com/gifs/tvland-dance-happy-l3q2YZF3y5pwt2aXe)
Staying active and maintaining good nutrition habits are key to healthy aging. On Senior Health & Fitness Day, more than 120,000 older adults will participate in local events that encourage them to get moving!
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the decline in strength, endurance, flexibility, and balance that occurs with aging contributes to diminished independence, diminished vitality, and increased likelihood of disabling injury.
Here are some fun ways to be active today:
- Walk, walk, walk! Whether you visit a park or walk around a mall, get those steps in!
- Water aerobics Check your local community pool for classes.
- Yoga Stretch those muscles and relax your mind.
- Zumba Gold Zumba Gold is a class designed for seniors. Search for classes in your area.
- Golf Play a round or two. Ditch the cart and walk the course
- Dance Dancing is a way to exercise without even realizing its impact.
The South Carolina Department on Aging has many resources to assist with fitness, nutrition, social and recreational activities and more. The population of older adults is growing and living longer than ever. Make today the day to start or maintain a fitness regime to sustain your years.