Join the South Carolina Cancer Alliance on Friday, June 21 from 9:30 AM to 3:00 PM for “Evidence Academy: Reducing Health Disparities in Our State,” a FREE workshop for health care professionals and advocates. The premise of the event is to discuss health disparities in cancer. While mortality rates have declined for many cancers in South Carolina, significant racial disparities persist.
The event will be held at the South Carolina Hospital Association, 1000 Center Point Road, where attendees will learn how to:
- Relate to the environment of underserved communities
- Understand four major factors essential to self-development
- Practice self-reflection and self-awareness
- Understand bias, implicit bias, and privilege
- Understand the collateral consequences of structural inequality.
Speakers include: Scott E. Porter, MD, MBA, FACS, FAOA and Brian Chad Starks, PhD. Dr. Porter currently serves as the Vice President of Equity and Inclusion and is the former Residency Program Director in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Prisma Health – Upstate. Dr. Starks is a nationally recognized expert on Cultural Competency, Diversity and Inclusion, Equity and the disruption of Implicit Bias.
Registration is FREE and lunch will be provided. To register or for more information, visit www.sccancer.org or call 803.708.4732.