Over the past few years, the third week of September has come to be known as Pollution Prevention (P2) Week. P2 Week (September 17-23) is a time for businesses, governments, and individuals to focus on preventing pollution, celebrating achievements, improving existing pollution prevention practices, and initiating new ones. You, too, can play a part in conserving our planet’s resources and moving us toward sustainability.
Here are some things you can do at HOME to help prevent pollution:
- Conserve energy by turning off lights and electric appliances when not in use. Use energy-efficient light bulbs and buy Energy Star appliances.
- Use environmentally-friendly cleaners and seal all containers to prevent harmful chemicals from evaporating into the environment.
- Use electric-powered lawn equipment and bag yard clippings at the beginning of seed growing season to prevent them from being dispersed.
- Reduce waste by reusing containers, composting food scraps, canceling unsolicited junk mail, and buying goods that use minimal packaging.
Here are some things you can do at WORK to help prevent pollution:
- Form a Green Team. It is much easier to make your work place greener as a team.
- Use your business’s intranet to educate employees on being green: Display a calendar with a focus on pollution prevention awareness events such as Earth Day, P2 Week, special recycle and paper shred days and bike-to-work day.
- Promote recycling at work and make it easier to recycle by having an area where people can leave unwanted items that can be reused or repurposed.
- When replacing office products (computers, faxes, etc.), choose ENERGY STAR-certified products.
Here are some things you can do at PLAY to help prevent pollution:
- Use public transportation, walk, or ride a bike whenever possible to get to your destination.
- Be car care aware; keeping your car in good condition can help reduce carbon emissions.
- When on vacation, take your own toiletries and reuse towels to reduce energy usage and hot water consumption.
- Use electronic tickets when traveling by saving or downloading the documents to your mobile devices.