By La’Keisha Coker, MS, RD, LD
Food Package Coordinator
Division of WIC Services
The WIC food package provides supplemental foods designed to meet the special nutritional needs of low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, non-breastfeeding postpartum women, infants and children up to 5 years of age who are at nutritional risk.
The new WIC food package went into effect October 1, 2017, and there are some exciting new additions in South Carolina!
- One gallon of milk can be exchanged for one gallon of chocolate milk each month for women and children age 2-5
- Gallon size only
- Lowest cost
- Any variety of canned fruits, including applesauce, juice pack or water pack without added sugars, fats, oils or salt
- Fruit must be listed as the first ingredient
- Any variety of canned or frozen vegetables without added sugars, fats or oils
- Vegetable must be listed as the first ingredient
- May be regular or lower in sodium
The full South Carolina WIC Food Guide may be found here.