In recognition of National Hepatitis Testing Day, DHEC clinics statewide will offer FREE Hepatitis testing on Monday, May 20. Here are 5 fast facts about hepatitis.
- Viral Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver. Your liver is the largest organ and helps your body digest food, store energy, and remove poisons.
- There are three strains of hepatitis: Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C. Viruses cause most cases of hepatitis. Drug and alcohol use can also cause hepatitis.
- Symptoms include: loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, dark-colored urine and pale bowel movements, stomach pain, and jaundice (yellow skin and eyes). Some people may not experience any symptoms.
- Most people who are infected with Hepatitis develop a chronic, or long-term, infection.
- In the United States, hepatitis C is responsible for more deaths than all other reportable infectious diseases.
In South Carolina, approximately 75 males (per 100,000) were living with hepatitis C compared to approximately 44 women. Are you at risk for getting Hepatitis? Take the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Risk Assessment and find out.
Check your DHEC local public health clinic for more information about FREE Hepatitis Testing Day.