Today is Registered Dietitian Day, which provides the perfect opportunity to highlight some of the great work our RDs do here at DHEC Public Health.
RDs have degrees in dietetics, nutrition, public health or a related field and work in many different roles to ensure that people understand what they are eating and the impacts that food decisions have on their health. In South Carolina, RDs also must complete an accredited, supervised dietetic internship, pass a national exam, and attain a license to practice from LLR.
Here at DHEC, our RDs provide a variety of services including:
- offering medical therapy for our clients with complex medical conditions like diabetes
- working with families to help provide specialized diets for children with metabolic disorders
- helping parents use special equipment to feed children with a cleft lip or palate
- helping WIC clients learn about nutrition, achieve a healthy weight, and encourage breastfeeding
- assisting families and seniors with planning nutritious meals on a budget through the SNAP nutrition education program
- increasing access to locally-grown fruits and vegetables through the Farm to School program and farmers markets